What Is The Difference Between MSP and MSSP?
Introduction to MSP:
Managed Service Provider (MSP) is a company which provides infrastructure and software technology to customers.
Many companies these days outsource their application development and other important business tasks to save money and time. Outsourcing has enabled them to be more productive instead of dedicating resources internally, thus resulting in higher revenue generation.
Today, there are many service providers that offer various cloud services such as storage, hosting and much more. These providers can help you with all your support needs from installation, configuration, backup restoration etc., MSPs understand the need of IT management for small businesses as well as large corporations by providing complete IT solutions without requiring too much investment or effort from the user end.
Introduction to MSSP:
MSSP stands for Managed Security Service Provider. A MSSP manages security infrastructure and technologies for a business or enterprise in order to keep their network, systems and data safe from malware, hacking etc.
It is a type of managed service provider which focuses specifically on information security services while others offer various cloud services such as storage, hosting and much more. In other words, an MSP provides you with servers and allows you to manage your own data while a MSSP protects your company from viruses, hacks etc.,
MSSP’s focus on the security aspect of the IT system together with the reliability, scalability and affordability that can only be found through cloud computing enables businesses to scale up their operations without worrying about risks due to cyber threats.
With the increase in cyber-attacks, malware and other security risks, companies are realizing the need for an online safety net. With threat protection becoming more of a priority than ever before , it is important to find a provider which ensures your data’s safety without compromising on performance or accessibility. MSSPs provide comprehensive solutions that include expertise in handling risk management, providing audits and compliance reports, installing penetration testing tools (ethical hacking software), etc.
MSP vs MSSP:
The main difference between MSP and MSSP is in their focus area; MSP cares about managing the services provided including storage, hosting and much more while MSSP specializes in protecting organizations from various IT threats such as viruses etc., managed service providers are more concerned about infrastructure where as security service providers focuses on risk management, audits and compliance reports etc.,
MSPs offer support for hardware, operating systems and applications while MSSP offers services related to data protection. MSP can prove to be less expensive than MSSP depending on the type of services offered by them. As the name suggests, a managed service provider provides support to its customers while a security service provider takes care of protecting it from various IT threats..
Following are some Key differences:
1. An MSP manages all kinds of cloud services including storage, hosting etc., whereas a MSSP specializes in protecting organizations from various cyber-attacks by taking care of their network, systems and data.
2. MSP mainly focuses on managing resources provided by them while MSSP focuses on providing security against various IT threats.
3. Managed service providers offer support for hardware, operating system and applications, whereas security service providers takes care of protecting your organization from viruses etc.,
4. The main difference between MSP and MSSP is in their focus area; MSP cares about managing services provided including storage, hosting etc., whereas MSSP specializes in protecting organizations from various cyber-attacks by taking care of their network, systems and data..
5. MSPs are more concerned about infrastructure where as security service providers focuses on risk management, audits and compliance reports etc.,
6. As the name suggests; managed service provider provides support to its customers while a security service provider takes care of protecting it from various IT threats.
7. The cost of managed service providers is less than security service providers depending on the services offered by them. It has been observed that MSP provides services at a lower rate compared to MSSP.
Which one to prefer MSP or MSSP:
Whether to choose MSP over MSSP depends on the kind of services required by your company. If you are looking for infrastructure management rather than protection, then an MSP is a better option for you. On the other hand, if you are looking out to protect your organization from various security threats, then MSSP is the perfect choice for you. However, it’s always better to ask experts about this before making any further decisions.
MSP and MSSP both are crucial to the companies in terms of providing protection from security threats. However, when it comes to deciding which one is better, it all depends on the kind of services required for your company. MSP specializes in infrastructure management whereas MSSP focuses on protecting organizations from various cyber-attacks such as viruses etc., So, before making any decisions ask experts about which type of service is more suitable for your organization or you can directly contact a reputed IT support agency for expert guidance and assistance in choosing the right service provider.