What is Minecraft?
Minecraft has had over 10.5 million downloads on minecraft.net, with 500,000 of those being in the first 24 hours of release. It is a fun, addicting game that has changed the face of gaming and how we play. Minecraft lets you mine resources, craft items, build structures and use your imagination to create just about anything. With the help of mods (modifications), Minecraft players can do even more by adding new functionality or introducing all kinds of crazy creatures that will make Minecraft an experience like no other.
Many schools use Minecraft in their curriculum because it can help students understand how these tools work without actually needing them at hand. However, there are times when you may need to allow Minecraft through your firewall and you can’t for whatever reason. You might work in an office where Minecraft is blocked, or maybe there are parental control software installed on the computer at home that blocks it too. Whatever your reasons may be, this blog post will show you how to easily unblock Minecraft.
What is the purpose of a firewall?
A firewall is a program that helps to protect your computer from unauthorized internet access. It allows or denies various types of network services, such as computers talking to one another on the same network or computers connecting across the internet. A firewall is a barrier that prevents one thing from touching another thing. It is a critical layer of protection on your system and should be enabled. The firewall blocks many Minecraft connections by default, so Minecraft might not run if the firewall is enabled.
How to allow Minecraft on MAC OS firewall?
Mac users have the same kind of network security as Windows users, but it is automatically configured and managed by Apple. There is no need to configure your firewall or install antivirus software, just update the software on your Mac and you’ll be protected. In some cases, application may be blocked by firewall if so unblocking Minecraft on a Mac is very easy as it doesn’t require any additional software to be installed. Below are steps to follow on Mac OS for Minecraft installation:
- Visit minecraft.net and download the client file which will automatically open up your firewall settings where you can click allow access
- If that does not work, then go into System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall > Advanced which will allow you to add minecraft.net as a trusted website and then click “Allow Access”.
How to allow Minecraft on Windows firewall?
Windows Defender is a free antivirus software that comes included on Windows computers. Windows defender may block applications from running on your computer. It can block malicious Minecraft players and hackers from accessing your computer without you knowing it. But sometimes, Minecraft will be blocked by windows defender even when the Minecraft program isn’t running or installed! Here are some easy steps to allow Minecraft through firewall:
Below are the steps that you can follow in order to get Minecraft working again. Just make sure that your version of Windows meets the game’s minimum requirements and then follow these simple steps:
- Click on “System and Security” in the menu at the top
- Find and click on “Windows Firewall”
- In the left pane under “Startup”, click on “Allow an app through Windows firewall”
- Click on Minecraft in the list of apps
- Click on “OK” to save changes
How to allow Minecraft on Linux firewall?
Linux firewall is a little different than windows. There are some easy ways to allow Minecraft through the Linux firewall as well, and I will be covering that in this blog post. Although Minecraft can work on Linux without any modifications made in the software, it’s not recommended for multiple reasons which we will go over later.
If you need Minecraft to run, you will need minecraft.jar and minecraft_server.jar files in the same directory as well as a custom Minecraft launcher that has been modified by your software or hardware manufacturer to accept incoming connections from other players on the internet. To allow Minecraft through firewall using this method, follow these steps:
- Open Minecraft launcher
- On the top, click Edit Profile and Change to Expert Mode (Make sure that you have a minecraft.jar file in your directory next to minecraft_server.jar with exactly the same name as minecraft_server.jar (not case sensitive)
- Copy any other .jar files into minecraft.jar
- Click save profile and launch minecraft
If Minecraft launcher doesn’t open when you double-click on the minecraft_server.jar file, it might be because your firewall is blocking mine craft from opening. If this happens follow these steps:
- Make sure that .minecraft folder is in UNPROTECTED MODE
- minecraft_server.jar file should be in UNPROTECTED MODE as well, if not then move it there. Minecraft will work fine now but players who are trying to connect with you online won’t be able to because of the folders being unprotectd mode and lack of Minecraft launcher modifications.
What platforms can Minecraft be played on?
Minecraft is a game that allows you to build virtual worlds and mine ores. It can be played on multiple different platforms, including Windows PC, OS X, Android or iOS devices.
Minecraft System Requirements:
Minecraft game specifications are different for every platform. Below are the minimum requirements needed to run Minecraft on your system:
- CPU: Intel Core i3-3210 3.2 GHz / AMD A8-7600 APU 3.1 GHz or equivalent
- RAM: 4GB
- GPU (Integrated): Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Ivy Bridge) or AMD Radeon R5 series (Kaveri line) with OpenGL 4.4*
- GPU (Discrete): Nvidia GeForce 400 Series or AMD Radeon HD 7000 series with OpenGL 4.4
- HDD: At least 1GB for game core, maps, and other files
- Windows: Windows 7 and up
- macOS: Any 64-bit OS X using 10.9 Maverick or newer
- Linux: Any modern 64-bit distributions from 2014 onwards
Minecraft is the best -selling PC game of all time. It is one of the most popular video games with children, but many parents prefer to block it through a firewall or parental control software because they feel that Minecraft has too much violence and not enough educational value. There are several easy ways for you to allow Minecraft though your firewall if you need access. Kindly follow the steps above to allow Minecraft through your firewall.